Monday, January 25, 2010

Here Come Those Brides!

Now that spring is approaching, chances are you might know someone who is getting married. Perhaps that somebody is you! Planning a wedding is not a small task! I planned my own wedding several years ago and now am helping my brother and his fiance with theirs. By no means am I a wedding expert, but through the process, I have learned a few valuable tips that I would like to share.

Start early! It is never too early to start making the plans. Planning a wedding involves researching a variety of venues and vendors. Giving yourself extra time helps alleviate any additional stress. Believe me, there will be plenty!

Make a list and check it more than twice! There are many wedding planning checklists available online. I am using one from http://www.frugalbride.com/. This one is formatted like a timeline so it is easy to follow. Here is the direct link:
http://www.frugalbride.com/weddingplanningchecklist.html.

To make double sure I don't forget to remind the bride about important to dos, I write them in my appointment book in addition to consulting the checklist frequently.

The whole package. In most cases, I found that the packages offerred by reception facilities were less expensive than the costs associated with hiring out for the services separately. When looking at venues for your reception, make sure to ask for complete fees. Some charges that seem to get lost in the wording are fees for cake cutting, bottle opening, extra chairs and rentals (table linens, china and glassware). These extra fees can increase your per person costs substantially. In addition, don't forget to account for tax and gratuity (some facilities charge a set amount).

Recruit helpers. Don't be afraid to ask for help. In most cases, family members are happy to help. Consider "hiring" those with special talents. For example, my husband's uncle is a fabulous pianist. As his gift to us, he played the music during our ceremony. Since I enjoy graphic design, I am handcrafting the invitations for my brother's wedding.

Anything goes! The great thing about modern weddings is that there really aren't any rules! This gives couples who are planning a wedding the flexibility to design a celebration to fit their specific taste and budget!

Unleash Your Organized Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment